My Girls!

My Girls!
a page from the book that Katherine made for me

21 April 2010

Getting into a rhythm...maybe?

You know I sometimes wonder at myself for being surprised by anything in the military. I joke sometimes about the way things happen in the Army...but then when I read books about past wars...about other services, other nations, they all seem to share common threads: CHAOS. It sometimes seems like we are on the verge of Chaos here. But I think that is exactly what armed conflict is about...its about chaos and the struggle to react to it...to influence it....shape it....anticipate it...and with skill and good fortune...maybe even manage it or conquer it completely. I am starting to get a handle on certain aspects of my mission here...and yes i am well aware that it will change...that it will evolve...and that the unexpected will rear it's ugly head...but I am surrounded by some pretty damn smart people and some very experienced professional soldiers that seem to have a good handle on their lanes as well. I am willing to bet that we will be able to work through it all by putting our heads together. I have become much closer to people that I barely even knew before June of last year when I came back to the Tiger Brigade...and I am grateful for that. Somehow there are always great people in every organization and our Operations section seems to have some of the best people I have ever worked with in it. I guess that is the way it should be though...if you put together a team...and you have the time to do it...you pick the best guys that you can find. Now that is not to say that you won't have a few slugs in every group...but it hardly seems noticeable here...and the few that we have aren't all that bad...they just provide some comic relief!

So things are really going well here. I am eating well...exercising vigorously...and even having as good a time as I can. This is hardly the deployment I thought it would be...and honestly I am very thankful for that. I just pray that God will protect all of our soldiers that are running missions daily...it is a sick feeling to hear about casualties and know that they are your brothers and sisters in arms. I hope we are spared that experience this time.

Katherine sent me another DVD of pictures and videos of the girls from home. Oh I got so very choked up watching them. My little Julie was cooing and "talking" and playing...she looks so happy and is growing so very quickly. i am really looking forward to seeing her when I get home and spending some bonding time with her. Madeleine...I am getting choked up already...my little Maddy is such a happy little girl. I love watching her videos: She sings...she laughs...she crawls...she WALKS...she plays...and is just an absolute JOY to watch. I cannot wait to hold her and play with her again. And my bride...my beautiful Katherine grows more beautiful in my eyes and heart every day. I really think that this deployment is bringing out her finest qualities. I have seen strength and love in her that I have never seen before...and we have been through a LOT together. But she is just impressing me more and more everyday and making me so very thankful that she is my wife. I am such a blessed man to have a wife that endures and serves side by side with me. She makes this so easy on me.

I got some amazing news yesterday from my dear Mother. My Aunt Young-Ook, my mother's only sister, received her Visa and will be able to come visit us when i come home on R&R. It will be her first visit to America and the first time that I have seen her since 1991. I cannot believe that it has been so long since I last saw her. I am thankful that my Mom has been back a few times since then but cannot believe that we haven't been to Korea as a family in 19 years! There is even a chance that two or three of my cousins may be able to come with her. I sure hope so. this is really a huge blessing as the Korean and US governments have not been so ready to grant our family members Visa's to come visit us in the US for fear of illegal immigration I assume. Whatever the case...she has one now and we are so overjoyed that she'll be coming to visit! My mother was so very excited that it filled my heart with joy to see it in her face! And now my daughter's will get to meet their Great Aunt from South Korea...it is a moving experience for me just to even think about it. I cannot wait until they are old enough to travel so we can go visit Korea as a family!

Well guys and gals I must say that this tour is not what I expected it to be...but it is working out just fine! Thank you to all of you who pray for us and especially those of you who have been taking so much time to help my girls at home and put my mind at ease. My wonderful family for ALL that you are doing every week..I cannot say thank you enough!...Mrs. Anna Sanders for your selflessness and generous service to our family after a life of service to your country yourself...you are an inspiration...Kim and Darby for your continuous support and help around the house...for Mike and Etienne for all of the problems you have fixed for us...and for all of you who come by the house and play with the girls or just try to give Katherine a bit of adult converstaion and maybe even the occasional break...you are all greatly appreciated and you honor us with your selflessness! I Love You All and am so Honored to wear this uniform in service to you!

Pro Deo et Patria!!!

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment