So what is it about the Tiger Brigade being deployed that brings about catastrophic events in our beloved home state of Louisiana? An explosion of some sort kills 11 men, wounds many more, another dies from injuries sustained, and now quite possibly the worst oil leak in recorded history is taking place just miles from the mouth of the river in some of the most fragile coastal marshes in the US!!! It pains me to think of the suffering of the families that lost their loved ones on the Deep Horizon rig, but even their losses are now overshadowed by the ongoing ecological disaster...
What could be worse than that? I don't know...maybe the response from the responsible parties. Or maybe the lack of the response is a more appropriate statement. It seems that despite being in the business of oil exploration, British Petroleum, Haliburton, and their partners failed to take the kind of precautions that should be mandated when conducting such dangerous work for PROFIT! I have to be honest that I am furious. I am not against oil exploration. I am not against oil companies, oil exploration, or the use of petroleum products. I am well aware of the great priviledges that we enjoy because of petroleum. But just like firearms, cars, boats, and just about anything enjoyable...we HAVE to exercise responsibility when using them! Now soldiers, volunteers, and paid laborers are going to be "cleaning" up the mess for the next months but we all really know that they will only be able to clean the surface. the real damage will be felt for generations to come. For an industry that has enjoyed its highest profits of all time during a financial crisis that has effected the world...the Oil Industry needs to return to the cutting edge of innovation and come up with realistic solutions to prevent these incidents...and furthermore...to more adequately respond to them in a timely manner with an effective solution. The responsible parties need to be held accountable.
Well anyway...now I am all worked up and can't write about anything more lighthearted or cheery. I'm gonna go sleep off this bad mood. What sux even more for me...is that i will be going home in just a few weeks to visit with my family in the middle of this tour. I scheduled reservations at a beach resort in Destin for my family to take our First family vacation ever! Katherine and I were so excited about this and now...another aspect of this disaster...our vacation and the tourism industry....and our regional economy...will suffer an almost incalculable amount of loss. I wonder if BP will be force to make reparation for that? I think we all know the answer...
I am doing well...despite how this post may make it seem. I'm just grumpy and ranting I guess. I am gonna go look at pictures of my girls and then go to bed with a smile on my face! I know they will cheer me up! At least i will get to see them when I get home this month. I don't care if we hang out in the livingroom the whole two weeks. As long as I am with them and my bride i will be just fine! Not that Katherine will tolerate that. I better come up with a new plan asap.
Night All.
Pro Deo et Patria!
Well
02 May 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment