Man, it has been a while since I posted anything here. But then I think that is really just a product of the "Groundhog Day" syndrome that is so epidemic here. Everyday seems like the last. It's still hot....it's still dusty...it's still a billion miles from my loved ones....so yeah it still kinda sux.
But I guess it's not all so bad. I have some great friends here and we manage to have a good time. I don't think we eat a single meal here without all nearly busting a gut laughing at each other. I think that being deployed makes us all a bit stressed out to a point that we have gotten used to it...so much so that we don't even notice it...kinda like a new norm...and laughing at each others foolishness is a great release.
So I have a new set of responsibilities that now requires me to travel a couple times a week to another base. Its a very short trip over a very secure route that I make periodically in order to keep up my responsibilities at both bases. It actually works out pretty well for me as it helps to break up the week a bit and seems to be making time pass more quickly. The only real disadvantage is that I have to maintain a residence in the International Zone and here at Victory Base. That means paying for internet access at 2 locations and splitting my clothing, toiletries, etc...between the two locations. That part does kinda suck but on the other hand it is very convenient to be able to go to my room in the IZ and then return to my roomhere at VBC on a weekly basis rather than living out of a Ruck or a duffle bag in the transient housing. I'm actually pretty thankful for the accomodations that I have as I couldn't be much more comfortable on a deployment.
The cool part about the whole thing is that the unit I am supporting in the International Zone is our 1st Battalion of the 141st Field Artillery Regiment "The Washington Artillery". The unit has a very rich history and my Great Grandfather served in the Battalion in World War I. Our family still has his uniforms and his footlocker full of memorabilia. It is a pretty ironic turn of events to be serving with them directly now....and to even have been made somewhat of an honorary member. I am technically assigned to their ranks now though I am still also the Brigade Engineer. the reduction of forces here has the waters a bit muddied. But in any event, I am honored and very please with my new assignment.
Well today is a good day...I got to speak with my bride yesterday for quite a while and got to watch my babies on skype too! I am gonna go workout and then get ready for a briefing...if we are lucky today we may even get over to the pool! This week is going to be a busy one for me as we are assuming another mission officially this week....oh well. We say goodbye to July and hello to August as we are inching closer to the end of this tour!
I hope all is well for you all back home. Pro Deo et Patria!
Will
31 July 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment